Repair of a waterbed |
Repairing a leak of a waterbed
Anything can break, even your waterbed. But normally a water mattress never leaks.
Except of course if a sharp object penetrates it. The water, that might escape, ends up between the
safety liner and the water container. Not a drop is lost. Furthermore, a leaky water container can
easily be repaired without having to empty the mattress. Because the water in the mattress is never
under pressure, it won't shoot out in large quantities. You could virtually sleep on the mattress
with its cap open. Most leaky water containers can be repaired in no time with the repair kit,
which is often included with the mattress.
Even if you stick two patches on top of each other, you may rest assured.
INSTRUCTIONS IN CASE OF A LEAKY WATERBED
As mentioned earlier, do not worry, the water can't escape. Don't forget to remove the
cover, and unplug the waterbed heater.
Repair is quite easy to do yourself.
- Make sure you have a repair set for waterbeds at hand.
- Dab the remaining water that is left in the safety liner and wipe the mattress to make sure it
- Search for the leak by gently pushing the sides of the mattress inwards. Seams, welds and folds
are the usual suspects. Never drain the mattress to find a leak, there is a high risk of
damaging the stabilization. Besides, a leak is harder to find when a bed is empty.
- When you have found the leak, let the the mattress breathe in some air. In this way, you can
lift the leak above the waterlevel. A leak can be repaired succesfully, without any sleep
- Very often a puncture is so minute that a drop of glue should suffice.
- In case the leak is somewhat larger, just cut out a circle a bit larger than the opening, from
the piece of vinyl included in the repair set. Do not use rubber glue because that will not
- Make sure the leak is above water level and resting on some surface. Apply a drop of glue on
the leak, and squeeze the piece of vinyl, that you have cut out with a coin, in the wet glue. Make
sure you remove all the excess glue , and press for about a minute. The leak should now be sealed.
The purpose of the coin is to prevent your fingers from being glued and to make sure it is glued
nice and evenly
- About five minutes later you can clean and dry the rest of the mattress.
- Straighten out the mattress. Never pull firmly at the welded seams of the mattress.
- Finally you can extract the air you have introduced. The few liters of water that have escaped
should hardly be noticeable when you lie in bed.
- If the leak is found on a welded seam, you should keep in mind that it might reoccur.
- In doubt, please consult a specialist.
- All rights are reserved regarding these instructions.